Is growth really the misnomer so many people claim it to be?

• I see a lot of posts on places like Growth Hackers and Reddit, talking about how the concept of "growth hacking" is a misnomer, a fancy phrase for the art of driving metrics forward. For instance, one particular comment I found once:

Call me old fashioned, call me whatever, but to me growth hacking is simply a rehash of tried and tested strategies that use technology to leverage their desired effect. Growth hacking ain't new or unique, maybe the technology is.

But is it really that black-and-white? It's never been easier to conduct A/B tests, or collect and analyze various metrics. But of course, someone needs to be able to adapt and figure out what those tests and metrics are really saying, which invariably becomes a part of growth hacking. So does that mean growth hacking is a fancy term, simply because the techniques are the same? Personally, I believe that the ability to analyze those metrics and gain something meaningful out of it, defines a growth hacker - but would love to hear what you think.

• For me, growth hacking is a mindset rather than a set of techniques and tools. Knowing that growth can actually be engineered rather than be found luckily is a big shift. Growth hacking in many forms has always happened but now the knowledge is far more widespread.

Did you know notCRUD has cool signatures? Use them by going to your User Profile > Edit.

Personal blog: paraschopra.com/blog/

• This post is deleted!

ga___jit

• @khitchdee said:

Term-wise, these days it's become fashionable to append hacking to just about anything. It gives it a seat-of-the-pants highway Robinson flavour instead of something erudite that came from a university

Actually there are some very few good resources on growth hacking that pack a ton of insights. One that I particularly liked was from Google Ventures. Take a look: http://www.gv.com/lib/lean-analytics

Did you know notCRUD has cool signatures? Use them by going to your User Profile > Edit.

Personal blog: paraschopra.com/blog/

• This post is deleted!

ga___jit