Android client for NC

• @championswimmer Also take a look at NativeScript. It uses JS, XML and CSS to create native apps for iOS and Android. Since the app will be native to both platforms, you won't run into any WebView gotchas. :)

• In that vein, something that's caught my attention for a few weeks: https://www.fusetools.com/

I've tried NativeScript too - seemed easy to work with.

• @amjad Thing with Nativescript and Titanium etc is that if you run into a nativisation-of-js bug of the platform, you suddenly find yourself having to understand how that particular platform turns js to native (good luck if it's not open source). Also a major headache, if you have no experience at all with one OS (like I have non with iOS). With Ionic/Cordova, you are atleast assured that your code lives inside a webview, which explicitly promise you certain things available and certain things not.
    That aside, unless I TOTALLY need to make something cross-plat + have no friends to take on iOS, I just prefer to make native apps. The perform much better, and are less of an headache to debug.

@rudimk No Linux support, no fun :/

• I think I will start making this in Ionic2. It's way faster, and automatically has Material/iOS9 theme on respective OS.

It isn't mature enough right now, but it looks like it will cater to most of the requirements a nC client needs.

• Just saw Ionic2. Looks pretty good, although I'm not sure how Typescript support helps much, but the ES6 transpiling is awesome.

• Why did we move from an Android client to a multiplatform non-native hybrid client?

• @gaara87 Sorry, I meant to reply to this earlier. Honestly, nothing's set in stone as of now. Going for an Android app has its pros and cons, as does going for a non-native hybrid client. What are your views?

• @gaara87 said:

Why did we move from an Android client to a multiplatform non-native hybrid client?

We have not 'moved' actually. In fact, I was about to start writing the first piece of code, this week.

I would actually, yes, like to have a discussion on that if so be. There are pros and cons of both sides.
    Personally, I hate webapps, and am a strong native advocate. But for an NC client I was not exactly seeing any special function of a native app we might need. Something like a forum hardly needs to run on a Java VM. It'll perform just the same both as a native app or webapp or as a progressive webapp with service workers.
    Now that said, going for wither something like Ionic, or just plain old hosted webapp-style (i.e. Flipkart Lite etc), makes it easy to go cross platform, while still giving the major 'appiness' advantage - push notifications.

• @rudimk said:

Just saw Ionic2. Looks pretty good, although I'm not sure how Typescript support helps much, but the ES6 transpiling is awesome.

I have infact been writing a bit of ES6-based Angular2 code, without transpiling. The browser (and even node/io support) is pretty broad, and haven't hit any of the features which are not supported.

Most of the major stuff like arrow functions, let, const, Classes are supported without transpiling on most places. And it makes code so much prettier.

• That's a great thing. Last year, Angular2 seemed like a massive pain, without transpiling. Guess that isn't the case anymore.

So. When would you like to catch up? I'm sorry, haven't been able to put up docs for the API. I swear, will do that first thing next week.