What's best for writing hybrid mobile apps?

• Leaving the obvious advantages of writing native apps for mobile aside, and looking at just hybrid apps, I'm wondering what sort of toolchains are popular, and what have your experiences been?

I know about Ionic - tried to use it - and I've played with the Mobile Chrome Apps framework. Anyone tried any other framework? How was it?

• I think with the advent of React Native, hybrid mobile apps seems like an outdated concept. When you can make native apps in JavaScript, why would anyone go with Phonegap or other such frameworks?

Did you know notCRUD has cool signatures? Use them by going to your User Profile > Edit.

Personal blog: paraschopra.com/blog/

• True, but does React Native give you the same breadth when it comes to accessing hardware functions, as PhoneGap does?

• Yes, I think it gives you even more. Phonegap, etc. limit access to certain hardware but React produces native code.

Did you know notCRUD has cool signatures? Use them by going to your User Profile > Edit.

Personal blog: paraschopra.com/blog/

• I evaluated various hybrid frameworks while building my first mobile app for a side project. I decided to go with Ionic (which is built on top of cordova and can utilize plugins built for cordova / phonegap). There are cordova libraries for almost all native functions (even running app as a background service).

@paraschopra React Native looks nice but it is missing support for basic features like Push Notifications for Android. I would wait for a while before hopping on to React Native. But I agree, it is the future.

• @jagira said:

I evaluated various hybrid frameworks while building my first mobile app for a side project. I decided to go with Ionic (which is built on top of cordova and can utilize plugins built for cordova / phonegap). There are cordova libraries for almost all native functions (even running app as a background service).

That's the thing. As of now, Ionic manages to do everything. And performance isn't such a big problem, is it?

@paraschopra React Native looks nice but it is missing support for basic features like Push Notifications for Android. I would wait for a while before hopping on to React Native. But I agree, it is the future.

True, that. React Native is the future. So long as it starts supporting more features, including tying into more libraries.