[Show NC] civilsdaily.com - complex news made easy

• Hey guys,

We have been working at this mobile first product for about a while now (6 months to be precise) - marked intentionally for the heavy news reader (the non-scoopwhoop junta) and a major segment being IAS Aspirants.

The pain point that we are trying to solve is that news is so full of opinions and useless noise that you can't get your hands on the facts at large. The breaking news context is coming in way of the contextual news.

We started by hand curating news cards onto a clutter free android app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cdt.civilsdaily and then moved onto connecting the related news cards together at the web.

Imagine Greek Crisis - We linked all the connected news cards and then worked on the info graphs and easy explainers to make a one-stop page which a user can access right from the mobile app!

(Web is more for discussions and a larger screen glory)

And now that we found some good traction, we are experimenting on Explainers - Trying the dumb proof complex concepts to make them more palatable and approachable.

Check a few of them here - http://www.civilsdaily.com/blog/

What do you guys think?

To be human is to be curious, childlike, complex and immoral.

• This post is deleted!

ga___jit

• @khitchdee - hehe.

uhm - actually we weren't very sure of its larger application - so kept it very specific. It got a good traction among the IAS wall junta and we kept going.

Now we are thinking of pivoting it to cater to a larger audience (core philosophy intact) and yes, name change etc being deliberated :+1:

• This post is deleted!

ga___jit

• This post is deleted!

ga___jit

• Why are replies deleted from this thread?

• This post is deleted!

ga___jit

• Hey @khitchdee. I get that something about the posting setup isn't working for you, and while I'm all for fixing it, could you please not put this up on most of the posts you write?

• Good job @rohitpande. How do you plan to differ from newsinshorts? They're quite popular I believe.

Did you know notCRUD has cool signatures? Use them by going to your User Profile > Edit.

Personal blog: paraschopra.com/blog/

• @paraschopra -

News in general is a want based activity or a good to have thing. We wanted to do news but try our hands at the need aspect of it. So, we thought of the market of current affairs heavy entrance exams. Naturally this precluded sports, entertainment and politics heavy news from our bevy of articles.

newsinshorts is more of a quick flick news. They are essentially flashcards but we are connecting the dots. Every news has a theme and we are creating stories basis on that. Linking the milestone development of a larger events by smaller news cards.

That solves the problem of discoverability. And that helps explain the news in context.

IMHO - India is still rising upto this content disruption. West has seen ~3 generations of it and NYT and the other biggies have taken a hit in some way or the other. There was an innovation report released loooong time back around this very debate and they realised that their back was against the wall!

• @rohitpande Saw one of my friends using this app. IAS aspirant :page_facing_up:

• @aditya1 - hmm as i said that's one segment which cannot do without it. News is not a luxury for them but a sort of unmet need. And hence, they were our first consumers.