Software patents in India - thoughts about it?

• Hello NotCrudders,

I'm curious to hear the community's thoughts on software patents. As many of you might know, software patents in India have not been allowed. However there is a recent proposal floating with Indian government to allow software+hardware combined patents. There's a risk that this would be used as a loophole to patent software in India. Check out this recent Economics Times article for more details.

What are your thoughts on software patents?

Did you know notCRUD has cool signatures? Use them by going to your User Profile > Edit.

Personal blog: paraschopra.com/blog/

• Software patents doesn't help anyone except the Patent trolls IMO. In General, I think no patent should be awarded for more than 7 years.

• This will be disastrous. The proposal asks not only for software patents, but on business methods as well.

I agree with FSMI's position: http://fsmi.in/content/patent-office-guidelines-not-tune-patents-act

• @p_chhonker said:

Software patents doesn't help anyone except the Patent trolls IMO. In General, I think no patent should be awarded for more than 7 years.

In addition, no patents for hardware+software either. Period.

• I am 100% sure if software patents come into play in India, innovation dies a painful dealth. All because of Patent Trolls!!

• Reminds me of the LG Double door technology ads where they used to openly boast about 10 year patent etc etc.

But I wonder how much relevance patents have/ or the mind space one should give to that. To me it looks majorly an execution driven growth these days. One quirky examples I came across around this was -

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/23/google-awarded-patent-for-free-rides-to-advertisers-locations/ - Nothing has happened on this (at least I don't see) and I can easily imagine uber/ ola etc tricking their way through the technicalities...

To be human is to be curious, childlike, complex and immoral.

• This post is deleted!

ga___jit

• Is it even not possible to patent algorithms or a protocol for solving a problem ?