Making open-source contributions more...fun?

• Something that's been nagging at me for a while, is how we can make the whole idea of contributing to open source repos more fun. For instance, I might have some killer code put up on Github, but at the end of the day, how do you actually build a network of people around it, who would want to contribute - and more importantly, do contribute regularly? I feel stuff like badges are a bit...passe. But I might be wrong.

• Yep, it's an interesting train of thought. I think first valid step would be for companies to start valuing open source contributions a lot more while hiring or giving freelance gigs. That creates a big incentive to contribute.

Open source projects can also maintain a list of easily fixable bugs that newbies can jump in and start contributing right away. They can also tell people to start documenting code (which is a valid contribution). An online code editor that makes me fix things right then and there would also be cool (instead of checking out a 2GB code and then fixing).

Did you know notCRUD has cool signatures? Use them by going to your User Profile > Edit.

Personal blog: paraschopra.com/blog/

• This post is deleted!

ga___jit